Friday, March 9, 2007

Envy: The Result of Being Incomplete

Envy
Lithograph
16" x 15"
2006

The first, or "negative," part of my two part exhibition series depicts emotions that are caused by a sense of dissatisfaction by the person feeling that particular emotion. Universally, we feel a sense of being incomplete because in the grand scheme of things we are all working towards Totality. We have to work towards totality because we are incomplete. We are incomplete because we were created. It's part of being human. As long as we are human, we feel and are incomplete.

Jealousy is the desire to have or be something else. Since something is missing, we feel incomplete and are compelled to fill gaps of emptiness. This lithograph portrays a person "green with envy" whose smile is questionably a smirk of disgust. Her hair, unnecessarily voluminous and superficially pink, serves as a great "cloak" for her true emotions. She literally hides behind the mass of pink fakeness. I really enjoyed playing with the pink and it's implications along with green and it's implications. The fact that they are complementary is a plus! I didn't feel it was necessary to dot the hair because it's supposed to be superficial, or not true to the nature of the person or emotion depicted.

In terms of labor, these prints are exhausting. This one in particular took me around 30 cumulative hours to print an edition of 10. I don't remember how long the design process took. I'm not completely satisfied with the product. There were some defects in the design. The good thing is that when I produce art, I learn from the mistakes I make. Mistakes are good. Now, I work more attentively on the preparatory sketches as well as the mylar drawings before I even THINK about printing.

Here is a look at a prep. drawing for this print:


Green With Envy: The Story of a Very Good Faker
Oil Pastel on paper
20" x 16"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Erika, this print, "....Faker", is so full of energy. The title is very enticing and made me look harder at the image of the print. I think that the colors you chose have a deeper meaning for what they stand for. Obvious, green and red compliment each other but the green in the face offset with some yellow and the folds of the face sends a powerful message. 30 cumulative hours, that is a lot of time to print and edition of 10. Yes, even the cat knows....keep up the positive work!